RGS Awards - make sure you nominate someone

In the first post on the blog, I talked about my personal connections with the RGS going back over twenty years.
For many years, as a teacher, I felt a closer connection with the Geographical Association, which seemed to better meet my needs as a teacher - and also I was told to join when I started my teaching training. It was later that I started to connect with the work of the RGS, and I am always excited to visit HQ. It has a special aura about it, and its links back through the history of exploration and the discipline's development.

The RGS-IBG offers a range of annual awards and significant medals, whose awardees are a 'Who's Who' of geography and exploration over the last two centuries.

In 2008, I attended the GA Awards as I had been awarded the Ordnance Survey's Award for Excellence in Secondary Geography Teaching for that year. I look so young in this photo... and pleased.

I had recently accepted a job working for the Geographical Association as it happens, and my boss to be David Lambert kindly came along, along with my wife to see me receive it. It remains a career highlight. Louise Ellis was the other person to receive the award that year, and the list of awardees is full of names that most people will recognise. 
It provided me with further impetus to continue what I had been doing to receive the award in the first place: to share what I had been doing in my classroom to support other colleagues.


Image: Royal Geographical Society

Comments